BY ADRIAN P. NEMES III
Alarmed by the sudden increase of Coronavirus Disease 2019 cases in Bacolod, the Department of Interior and Local Government reiterated its call to all Barangay Captains in the city to intensify their campaign for observing minimum health protocols in their areas.
This was the content of the memorandum issued by Ma. Joy Marideth Madayag, DILG City director yesterday, who said that it is part of their “BIDA ang May Disiplina” strategy in the fight against the virus.
The campaign was launched in August last year in partnership with the Department of Health, to arrest the increasing number of Covid cases in different parts of the country.
As of yesterday, DOH Region 6 announced that the total Covid cases in Bacolod since last year is now 5,893 with 5,618 recoveries and 186 deaths.
Active cases in Bacolod rose to 89 following the addition of 12 local transmission yesterday, the DOH reported.
Bacolod recorded its highest single day cases in the last four months on Wednesday as there were 25 new index cases, 17 of which were local transmissions or close contacts with people who got infected with the disease earlier while the rest are locally stranded individuals
EOC Executive Director Em Ang said earlier that the increase in cases in Bacolod could have been triggered by the arrivals of LSIs and authorised persons outside residences.
Ang said that the lack of discipline among the people like the refusal to wear face masks and shields, and mass gatherings without observing social distancing are also contributing factors in the spike of COVID 19 infections in the city.
She admitted that they lack manpower, hence they could not guard all the sectors in Bacolod and compel them to follow minimum health protocols.
Ang said they are also dismayed by the fact that there are public utility vehicles with no plastic barriers while other have barriers but they are already torn.*