Suspend disconnection until end of 2020, Ceneco asked

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email

BY MARCHEL P. ESPINA

Consumers’ group Power Watch Negros Advocates Inc. is urging the Central Negros Electric Cooperative to suspend its disconnection services until the end of December.

In a letter dated September 2 addressed to Dwight Carbon, Ceneco president, Wennie Sancho, secretary-general of Power Watch, said that everybody is facing multifarious problems brought by economic recessions due to the coronavirus pandemic.

“As a result, thousands of workers were laid off from their jobs due to the closure of hundreds of business establishments suffering from economic losses,” he said.

With this, the purchasing power of the workers was drastically reduced due to the implementation of flexible working arrangements, like a compressed workweek and rotation of jobs, he said.

“Since most of the consumers are also workers, this had adversely affected their capacity to pay their monthly electric bills,” he pointed out.

To ease the financial burden of the Ceneco member-consumers who were caught in the quagmire of economic crisis, Power Watch is urgently requesting that the implementation of the disconnection policy for those who have not paid their monthly electric bills be held in abeyance or suspended until December 31, 2020, Sancho said.

“This will give our member-consumers a respite considering the financial burden that they have to carry on their shoulders in these difficult and trying times,” he said.

Ceneco had suspended its disconnection until end of last month.

It has yet to release an announcement whether or not it will continue its disconnection services for unpaid accounts this month.*

YOU MAY ALSO READ

Read Article by date

October 2020
M T W T F S S
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031