BY ADRIAN P. NEMES III
Clearing operations against illegal structures in Bacolod City have been extended until March 15, Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran said yesterday.
Famillaran said they met with Department of Interior and Local Government provincial head, Ma. Joy Maredith Madayag, and were informed that the evaluation on road clearing was moved to give the city ample time to comply with it.
Initially, the evaluation was set Jan. 15 on orders of President Rodrigo Duterte following the resumption of clearing operations on Nov. 16 last year, after most areas in the country were placed on modified general community quarantine status.
Familiaran said they do not know yet how many of the 61 barangays have complied with the order, adding that many illegal structures have been re-built after they were cleared last year before the onset of the pandemic.
He said that while the deadline for the compliance with the clearing of illegal structures was moved, they have reminded the barangay captains to do their part and strictly enforce the order.
Bacolod Mayor Evelio Leonardia earlier said that he is giving the barangay captains the full authority in enforcing the clearing operations, saying that they have their styles or strategies in removing all illegal structures within their areas of jurisdiction.
Leonardia said that, based on the memorandum of the DILG, barangay officials who fail to function or comply with the order will be penalized. He noted that in 2019, the DILG had given Bacolod City an 87-percent rating for its accomplishment on road clearing operations.*