Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email

Palermo organizers ‘confident’ of Halep quarantine exemption

Halep

Simona Halep should be eligible for an exception to compete in the Palermo WTA event, which will mark the season’s resumption after a five-month suspension, despite all Romanians needing to quarantine on arrival in Italy, organizers said Saturday.

“Halep should participate in the 31st Palermo Ladies Open,” tournament director Oliviero Palma said on Twitter.

“We are waiting official clarification from the competent authorities, but we are confident.

“Following a literal interpretation of the provisions in force, it seems that workers, therefore professional athletes too, should be exempted from the mandatory quarantine.”

Organizers of the clay court event, starting on August 3, are pleading with government officials to lift the self-isolation requirement for Wimbledon champion Halep.

The Minister of Health signed an order on Friday imposing a 14-day quarantine on entry into Italy for all those who had been in Romania and Bulgaria during the previous two weeks.

Meanwhile, Palermo tennis organizers said they were awaiting confirmation from world number three Karolina Pliskova whether she will compete.

The first players arrived yesterday for the qualifying round.

“All of them, starting from Tuesday, will undergo the coronavirus test. Subsequently, it will be repeated every four days,” organizers added.*AFP

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email
ARCHIVES

Read Article by date

January 2021
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Dear Visayan Daily Star readers:

Great news!!! VisayanDailyStar.com is finally back.

Register to get a headstart on the exclusive content and benefits.