BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN
A former kagawad is now in hot water, following the seizure of assorted guns and ammunition during a raid on his residence in Sitio Mabinuligon, Brgy. Dian-ay, Escalante City, Negros Occidental on May 4.
Former Dian-ay barangay kagawad Dominador Talbo was nabbed by operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group-Negros Occidental Field Unit, assisted by the PNP Special Action Force, Regional Mobile Force Battalion 6, 1st Provincial Mobile Force Company, and the Escalante City police.
The operation yielded a Remington R4 assault rifle with seven magazines containing 164 ammunition, a Jericho 9mm pistol with four magazines and 80 ammunition, an Armscor 12 gauge shotgun with six ammunition, and a magazine of a .45 caliber pistol with 10 ammunition.
San Carlos Regional Trial Court Judge Amy Alabado Avellano issued the search warrant that allowed the authorities to conduct the raid.
Lt. Col. Joem Malong, spokesperson of the Police Regional Office 6, said the raid was an offshoot of complaints from some barangay residents, who alleged that Talbo had been illegally discharging firearms. Malong said Talbo failed to present documents authorizing him to possess the confiscated guns. He is now under the custody of the CIDG, pending the filing of charges against him for illegal possession of firearms.*