Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email

Floods hit northern Negros anew

BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN

Residents of Canetown Subdivision in Brgy 19-A, Victorias City, salvage their belongings after another flashflood occurred this weekend* Gilbert Bayoran photo

More infrastructure projects were damaged by the latest flashfloods that hit eight cities and towns in northern Negros, with Silay among the hardest hit, and now recommended to be declared under a state of calamity, too.

A resident of Brgy. Guimbalaon in Silay City was found dead Saturday, and is believed to have been hit by debris when his house collapsed.

In Talisay City, the police said the body of a man was found floating in a creek in Purok Santan, Brgy. Zone 12 yesterday.

The Silay City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office reported that nine bridges have been damaged by flashfloods since Jan. 1, while the Provincial Risk Reduction and Management Office said 4,926 families, composed of 15,671 individuals in 16 barangays of Silay were affected by the flood.

Mayor Mark Golez said the CDRRMO has recommended to the Silay Sangguniang Panlungsod placing the city under a state of calamity during its regular session this week.

Talisay and Victorias cities were placed under a state of calamity last week, after the floods that hit the two local government units on Jan. 1.

More infrastructure projects were also reported to have been damaged in the cities of Talisay and Sagay, and Manapla town.

Mayor Salvador Escalante Jr. said yesterday that he advised 121 flood-affected families from Brgy. Daga, Cadiz City, whose basic needs are being provided by the city government, to remain in evacuation centers as intermittent heavy rains continue.

Mayor Marvin Malacon also reported that 3,339 families, composed of 16,680 individuals were affected by floods in EB Magalona.

Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction Management officer Zeaphard Gerhart Caelian said 3,101 families in Talisay City, 15 families in Escalante City, and 1,231 families in Victorias City were also affected by the latest flooding.

The PDRRMO has yet to receive reports from Sagay City and Manapla on the number of affected families and the estimated damages.

Caelian stressed the importance of preemptive evacuation during flashfloods.

Damage to crops, infrastructure projects, fisheries, and livestock has yet to be determined, although the Jan. 1 flashflood damage had reached P20 million.

Talisay City Social Welfare and Development officer Dionela Madrona said they will distribute cash assistance today to owners of houses destroyed and damaged in the two flashfloods.

The Army’s 79th Infantry Battalion, Philippine Coast Guard, and the Bureau of Fire Protection personnel assisted police and local disaster units in the rescue and evacuation of affected residents. The PCG said it rescued 1,100 residents in Talisay and Victorias on Saturday.*

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on email
Email
ARCHIVES

Read Article by date

January 2021
M T W T F S S
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Dear Visayan Daily Star readers:

Great news!!! VisayanDailyStar.com is finally back.

Register to get a headstart on the exclusive content and benefits.