BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN
Bacolod Mayor Evelio Leonardia and Negros Occidental Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson issued executive orders yesterday, extending the duration of the Modified General Community Quarantine status in the city and the province until May 31.
Bacolod City and Negros Occidental were among several areas all over the country that remained under MGCQ by the Inter-Agency Task Force, as announced by Malacañang Wednesday night.
Leonardia, in EO 21, series of 2021, that he issued yesterday, said that while Bacolod has maintained its MGCQ category, its constituents must not, however, remain complacent especially that in the last two weeks, from April 13 to 26, Covid cases in the City have, again, spiked, “thus reminding us that even more vigilance and caution must continue to be observed and exercised in matters of public safety and health protocols”.
Any person below 15 and those who are over 65 years old, those with immunodeficiency, comorbidity, or other health risks regardless of age, pregnant women, and any person who resides with them shall still be required to remain in their residences at all times, except when indispensable under the circumstances for obtaining essential goods and services, or for work in permitted industries and offices, the EO stated.
Daily curfew hours shall continue to be observed from 11 p.m. to 4 a.m., provided that exemptions shall be made for workers on night shifts, media practitioners, public emergencies like fire/ambulance services/other occasions caused by disaster/calamity, and those requiring medical assistance on board PUVs or private vehicles.
The rules and regulations in the selling of liquor, wine, beer, or any alcoholic or intoxicating beverages in public places shall continue to be allowed only from 12 noon to 6 p.m. However, the selling and/or consumption of such alcoholic beverages in authorized public places shall be in accordance with EO No. 03, series of 2021, dated February 9, 2021.
Meanwhile, Lacson said that he will no longer pursue his request to place Negros Occidental under the General Community Quarantine status, citing the Covid-19 low risk status of the province recently.
The Covid-19 classification of the province has been downgraded by the Department of Health 6 from “high to low risk”.
As of April 28, Negros Occidental had 11,107 total confirmed Covid-19 cases, with 8,897 recoveries, and 257 deaths. Total active cases recorded was 1,863, compared to 2,233 last week.
In his executive order, Lacson said that curfew hours from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. will still be observed, mass gathering still prohibited, and the mandatory registration to S-Pass and StaySafe applications is a must.
San Carlos City remains on top of the list having the most number of Covid-19 cases at 319, with Salvador Benedicto at the lowest, with two active cases, a report of the Provincial Incident Management Team showed. Lacson said that all the cases in San Carlos City were local transmissions. But he said that the city government is very active in contact tracing and swabbing.*