BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN
The Army’s 3rd Infantry Division said yesterday that there was an attempt of New People’s Army remnants in northern Negros to reorganize the dismantled guerilla front.
Maj. Cenon Pancito, 3ID spokesman, said the communist rebels encountered by the 79th Infantry Battalion on July 15 in Sitio Acacia, Brgy. Malasibog, Escalante City, Negros Occidental, were on a resupply mission, as evidenced by the assorted personnel belongings, foodstuff, and water containers, aside from two firearms with ammunition, cellular phones, subversive documents, and a CPP-NPA flag recovered by government troops.
The brief encounter claimed the life of Wilson Yanog Jr., a resident of Sitio Tinibiayangan, Brgy. Minapasuk, Calatrava, and the capture of Joel Manguiran Baroy, of Brgy. Bago, Salvador Benedicto, and Jessie Labisto, of Brgy. Lalong, Calatrava.
Lt. Col. J-Jay Javines, 79IB commander, said that Baroy and Labisto, who are rebel supporters, were paid to deliver the goods.
Also recovered by 79IB troopers were a maroon multi-cab vehicle loaded with goods, driven by Baroy, and the motorcycle of Yanog, the Escalante City Police Station said.
Yanog died on the spot, while his companion, who was on a motorcycle, managed to escape, the police added.
Baroy and Labisto are now detained at the Escalante City Police Station custodial facility.
The Northern Negros and South East Front of the Komiteng Rehiyonal Negros/Cebu/Bohol/Siquijor were among the two NPA guerrilla fronts claimed to have been dismantled by the Philippine Army last year.*