BY GILBERT P. BAYORAN
Suspected New People’s Army rebels were believed injured in another encounter with troopers of the Regional Mobile Force Battalion 6 Sunday in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental.
Col. Gilbert Gorero, spokesperson of the Police Regional Office 6, yesterday said that the RMFB 605th Company led by Capt. Ryan Villasario, who were serving as a blocking force, encountered the fleeing group of Ka Ramon “Dodo” Villar in Sitio Mapait, Brgy. Bulwangan, San Carlos City.
Gorero said the running gunbattle with the fleeing rebels lasted for 15 minutes and led to the recovery of a back pack containing personal belongings. Traces of bloodstains were later discovered along the NPA withdrawal routes.
The encounter ensued after the same unit of RMFB 6, led by PLt. Peter John Celino, clashed with about seven NPA rebels led by Villar earlier in Sitio Masapod, Brgy. Nataban, San Carlos City.
The encounter resulted in the recovery of assorted ammunition and magazines of M-16 and M1 garand rifles, three M203 grenade launcher ammunition, detonating cords, CPP-NPA flag, medical supplies and subversive documents.
On July 21, soldiers of the 15th Infantry Battalion also seized a temporary camp of the NPA in Brgy. Camindangan, Sipalay City, after 15 minutes of gunbattle with members of the Sentro De Grabidad Platoon of the NPA South West Front.
Recovered from the encounter site were Improvised Explosive Devices, a generator set, assorted medical equipment and office supplies, cooking utensils, and electrical wires, among other items.
Major Gen. Eric Vinoya, commander of the Army’s 3rd Infantry Division, attributed the successful seizure of the NPA camp to the vigilance of the local populace and timely information they relayed to the 15IB troops.
Vinoya also commended the 15IB Community Support Program (CSP) teams in raising awareness among the local residents of the importance of people’s participation in addressing the insurgency problem.*